The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
   


The Museum Complex
consists of six major buildings and structures on two acres in the heart of Bellport Village.

 

   
  The Post-Crowell House

The centerpiece of the complex, this Federal-style house was built in 1833 by Hiram Post at a cost of $800. Master ship-builder Post erected it with wooden pegs and square nails, using wood of the highest quality and floor beams of extra girth. Just behind the main house is the original Milk House with an exhibit on local dairies.
 

   
    The Ralph Brown Building

Ralph Brown deeded this former hardware store to the Society in 1980. it was built by Robinson and Watkins in the third quarter of the 19th century and housed their business when they developed Bell Street. They were the major builders in Bellport from the late 19th century to the early 20th. This type of commercial building was once common on Long Island.
 

 
  The Blacksmith Shop

The Blacksmith Shop, with its working forge, contains tools from Joseph Shaw and his son Charles. Joseph and Charles were both local smiths and wheelwrights.
 

 

   
    The Barn Museum

The exhibits in the Barn Museum give an intimate glimpse of four centuries of life on the shores of Bellport Bay.
 

 

 
  The John Chester Memorial Boathouse

The boathouse showcases the fully restored Gil Smith catboat, “Jealousy” and the fully rigged scooter, "Three-In-One."
 

   
    The Emilie R. Underhill Studio

This former stable houses the Museum Exchange Shop where items can be donated to the historical society or placed on consignment. A percentage of all proceeds help to fund the maintenance of the museum complex.

 

 
  The 1850 Gazebo

This elegant, turban-crowned 1850 gazebo was moved from Bellport Lane to the museum grounds. It was reconstructed and restored in 1997 using the original parts.

 

 

   
     Milk House

The milk house, called ‘springhouse” in earlier times, was an important part of American life. Milk houses were small, enclosed one-room buildings used before the days of refrigeration. It was the duty of the housewife to see that all milk products were properly prepared and in supply for the family. This is the original milk house for the Post-Crowell house.

   
            
 

© 2004-2014 The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society