THE BELLPORT-BROOKHAVEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society is a not-for-profit
local organization devoted to the preservation and interpretation of
Long Island’s past; in particular it is concerned with the history
of the Bellport, Brookhaven, East Patchogue area. The Society
pursues this goal through its museum, its historic house with its
ancillary structures, its museum collections and gallery
exhibitions, its educational programs, its outreach to the
community, and its publication of studies on local history and
material culture. Seeking to provide knowledge and insight into the
cultural inheritance of the area, the Society is a resource
encouraging and assisting individuals, the public sector, and
private organizations concerned with historic preservation.
The Society was founded in 1958, and is governed by a
board of trustees. It has over 400 members. The Society’s first
president was Robert H. Pelletreau, a direct descendent of the
well-known Revolutionary era silversmith Elias Pelletreau. New members and volunteers are always welcome.
membership application pdf
Give a Gift
President's letter 2004
President's letter 2005
President's letter 2006
President's letter 2007
President's letter 2008
President's letter 2009
President's letter 2010
President's letter 2011
President's letter 2012
THE MUSEUM COMPLEX
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society has, it believes, one
of the largest groupings of important historic buildings of any
historical society in New York State and perhaps beyond. The Historical
Society’s Museum Complex is open much of the year; the Society
works with the Town of Brookhaven Bureau of Tourism and several area
tour companies in its effort to introduce more citizens to local
Long Island history and to the irreplaceable value of Long Island's historic
sites and artifacts. The Museum Complex consists of several
structures, staffed by volunteers, on over two acres in the heart of
Bellport Village, specifically:
- The Post-Crowell House, a beautiful 1833 Federal style house,
was built by master ship builder Hiram Post. The house
contains significant antique furniture, as well as china, art and
artifacts donated by local residents.
- The Milk House, which sits on its original location behind the
- An 1850 Gazebo, one of the last of its style in existence.
- The Barn Museum, originally a livery stable built in 1904, is
climate controlled and has two floors of exhibits, including:
a. the original Brookhaven Post Office;
b. the interior of a shoemaker's shop;
c. the original cherry wood trout weather vane from the historic
South Haven Presbyterian Church, which was hand carved to resemble the
large trout caught locally by Daniel Webster in 1823;
d. Capt. Wilbur Corwin’s extensive decoy collection;
e. the ‘Pigskin Book’, a rare 1696 account ledger of whaling
expeditions in this area.
f. early craftsman’s tools and ship models;
g. an 1850 manuscript of fiddle music;
h. an early Sperry gyroscope and a copy of its 1914 patent.
and an ever changing display of local artifacts.
- The Blacksmith Shop, a restored blacksmith and wheelwright
shop with related equipment.
- The Boathouse, containing one of the first Gil Smith catboats, as
well as the “Pumpkin Seed” built in 1883 that is the forerunner of
the Bellport Scooter.
- The horse stables, now converted to The Museum Exchange Shop, offers antiques and collectibles for sale.
- The Brown Building houses the Society’s
main meeting room and concert recital hall. Here is the Society's
acclaimed painted tinware (tole) collection, an early American
stencil collection and a unique collection of glass paperweights.
Also housed in the Brown Building is the Pelletreau International Doll Collection
dolls from 62 countries. The northern structure of the Brown
Building, Number 12 Bell Street, is currently under restoration.
When completed, the structure will look much like it did when
first built and will give the Society more exhibit and meeting
HISTORIC BELLPORT and BROOKHAVEN
The land on which Bellport Village and Brookhaven Hamlet are
situated was purchased from the Unkechogue Indians on June 10, 1664.
Brookhaven Hamlet was first settled in 1681 and Bellport Village was
established in the early 1800's. Part of Brookhaven Hamlet is a
designated “historic district” within the Town of Brookhaven. On
July 4, 1980, the National Register of Historic Places added to the
Register over 80 houses in Bellport Village. In 2001 Bellport
Village established a Historic Preservation Commission, which has
since designated four historic districts in the village. The
Historical Society’s Museum Complex is situated in the center of
The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
31 Bellport Lane, Bellport, NY
Exchange Shop 631-286-0888